Below are 16 of the most important health benefits of eating carrots daily, you will also learn the nutritional values, the different types of carrots along with the side effects of eating too many carrots and finally, some exciting unknown facts about carrots.
Carrots are known as one of the world’s healthiest vegetables, a power food mainly because they are a high source of vitamin A, Potassium, fiber, vitamin k, vitamin B-8 and are also famous for their antioxidant agents.
- Plant– wild carrot
- Scientific name- Daucus Carotene Subspecies Sativus
- Origin– Europe & Southwestern Asia
There are many varieties of carrots, most common types include;
- Baby carrots-sculpted to look like baby carrots.
- Chantenay-Pale orange, short and thick.
- Danvers– medium-sized, coned shaped carrots.
- Imperator-long slender with pointed tips.
- Nantes-orange, short, brittle & blunt tip.
- Purple carrots– dark violet to reddish-purple in color.
- Red carrots– contain a substance called lycopene and are pinkish-red in color.
- Round carrots– orange color & and shaped like large radishes.
- White carrots– long and thin with white color.
- Yellow carrots– firm, crunchy and has a light yellow color.
The nutritional content of 100 g carrots
- Calories -41
- Potassium – 320 mg
- Sodium – 69 mg
- Total carbs – 10 g
- Dietary fiber – 2.8 g
- Sugars – 4.7 g
- Vitamin A – 334 %
Health benefits of eating carrots daily
Carrots have many medicinal health benefits, has an impressive list of nutrients and organic compounds. Consuming as little as 1 carrot a day may help with many kinds of diseases. Below is a list of the amazing health benefits of carrots;
- Reduces the risk of stroke
- Helps prevent heart disease
- Reduces the risk of heart attack
- Stimulates white blood cells
- Reduces Cholesterol levels
- Reduces High blood pressure
- Helps boost organ function
- Helps boost the immune system
- Helps regulate blood sugar
- Prevents prostate cancer
- Reduces the risk of leukemia
- Helps improve eyesight
- Reduces the risk of breast cancer
- Reduces the risk of lung cancer
- Reduces the risk of colon cancer
- It has antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
Daily recommended intake amount
- 3-4 cups of carrot juice
- 4- 5 large carrots
Side effects of carrots
Carrots contain high amounts of vitamin A, therefore, one should bear in mind that overconsumption of any vitamin or minerals can be toxic to your health.
Facts about carrots
- People First grew carrots as medicine
- Carrots are over 5000 years old
- There are many different colors of carrots, white, orange, yellow, purple, red and violet.
- Carrots are a great source of natural sugars.
- The part of the carrot we eat is called the taproot
- Carrots keep you healthy and help you to see in the dark
- Carrots are a great source of fiber which aids the digestive system
- Purple carrots contain purple pigments called anthocyanins which act as antioxidants that protect the body.
- For more on the health benefits of carrots see here
- 19 Amazing Health Benefits Of Ginger
- Parsley Health Benefits And Side Effects